Do You View Failure?
One of the most damaging things we can do to ourselves is to label ourselves as a failure. We often do this because we did not succeed at accomplishing a specific goal. However, we need to recognize that there is a difference between failing and being a failure. The fact is we are going to fail at some things because we are humans. Simply put humans often fail. It is our attitude when we fail that ultimately determines whether we are a failure or not. So what attitude should we have when it comes to failing?
- Know who you are. We all have strengths and weaknesses. Sometimes we fail so miserably at something yet our peers excel at it. This can be discouraging. It is very important that we do not compare ourselves with those around us. We must identify our own strengths and build on them.
- Learn from your mistakes. When we do not get the desired outcome, do not keep doing the same thing over and over again hoping to get a different result. That is insanity. Instead, step back, analyze your previous actions and see what you can do differently. A different approach can often produce better results.
- Redirect. We live in a fast changing world. Adapt to the changes. Clinging to outdated ways of doing things is a recipe for failure. Newer methods often work better in current situations. Failure to adapt only leads to frustration.
- Don’t Totally Reject Criticism. Some people are going to be critical regardless of what you do. Use criticism as a motivational tool. Whenever someone criticizes your actions, try to dissect the criticism. If you find any good points, apply them. Completely ignore the rest. That is one way
to prove your critics wrong.
- Enjoy your victories. Even if your victories are small give yourself permission to savor them. You earned them. Don’t dwell on what you didn’t do or what you could have done better. Be happy for what you achieved so far.
So, as another year draws to a close it is time to see how well you did. I f you tried something and did not get the results you had hoped that does not mean you are a failure. It means that you should re-evaluate your strategies and tactics. Reinvent tour methods in the new year and move forward. And please don't forget to share success stories with others. Motivate them to strive to succeed.